Use of Technology to Enhance Patient Outcomes and Prevent Illness
This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) seeks clinical research focused on the development and utilization of technologies that can help address patient outcomes. Relevant areas of technology include remote healthcare delivery to patients via telehealth, robotics to enhance medication adherence, on-site (e.g., clinical or home setting) care delivery, mobile heath to increase access and adherence, web-based decision support tools, and others. Research projects may focus on assessment, diagnosis, intervention development, or intervention implementation.
Research projects are especially needed in these areas:
- incorporate emerging and cutting edge technologies to explain and predict patient trajectories,
- inform interventions,
- support real-time clinical decision making, and
- facilitate effective long-term management of chronic illness
Critical to this FOA, proposed research should identify specific patient outcomes expected to improve from technological approaches. The specific tools or interventions proposed should clearly indicate how they will enhance patient benefits in environments, such as clinical settings, and/or in the home and community.
- Pre-Application Submission: N/A
- Application Submission: 5:00 PM local time of applicant organization, Feb. 5, 2017; Jun. 5, 2017; Oct. 5, 2017; Feb. 5, 2018; Jun. 5, 2018; Oct. 5 2018; Feb. 5, 2019; Jun. 5, 2019; Oct. 5, 2019
Any individual(s) with the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary to carry out the proposed research as the Program Director(s)/Principal Investigator(s) (PD(s)/PI(s)) is invited to work with his/her organization to develop an application for support. Individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups as well as individuals with disabilities are always encouraged to apply for NIH support.