The purpose of this funding opportunity announcement (FOA) is to support hypothesis-driven research to discover human biomarkers in Parkinson’s disease and other Parkinsonian syndromes, as a component of the NINDS Parkinson’s Disease Biomarkers Program (PDBP). This FOA encourages biomarkers discovery projects in:
1) genetically causal Parkinson’s disease, especially for particular sub-types of Parkinson’s Disease (PD), including genetic cohorts, biologically defined cohorts of idiopathic PD, or ethnic subgroups of idiopathic PD;
2) The differentiation of synucleinopathies (such as PD and Multiple System Atrophy (MSA) from tauopathies (such as Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Corticobasal degeneration); or
3) to improve diagnostic differentiation between idiopathic/subtypes of PD and these disorders, as well as from Essential tremor.
In order to further advance research in this area, broad sharing of biospecimens and associated data is a critical feature of the PDBP generally and of this FOA specifically.
• Pre-Application Submission Deadline: 30 days before application submission due date
• Application Submission Deadline: 5:00 PM local time of applicant organization, September 6, 2017; September 6, 2018
Any individual(s) with the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary to carry out the proposed research as the Program Director(s)/Principal Investigator(s) (PD(s)/PI(s)) is invited to work with his/her organization to develop an application for support. Individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups as well as individuals with disabilities are always encouraged to apply for NIH support.