This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) will support pilot, feasibility or exploratory research in 5 priority areas in substance use epidemiology and health services, including:
1) responses to sudden and severe emerging drug issues (e.g. the ability to look into a large and sudden spike in synthetic cannabinoid use/overdoses in a particular community);
2) responses to emerging marijuana trends and topics related to the shifting policy landscape;
3) responses to unexpected and time-sensitive prescription drug abuse research opportunities (e.g., new state or local efforts);
4) responses to unexpected and time-sensitive medical system issues (e.g. opportunities to understand addiction services in the evolving health care system); and
5) responses to unexpected and time-sensitive criminal or juvenile justice opportunities (e.g. new system and/or structural level changes) that relate to drug abuse and access and provision of health care service.
It should be clear that the knowledge gained from the proposed study is time-sensitive and that an expedited rapid review and funding are required in order for the scientific question to be answered.
• Pre-Application Submission Deadline: 30 days before application submission due date
• Application Submission Deadline: 5:00 PM local time of applicant organization, Feb. 8, 2017; Jun. 8, 2017; Nov. 8, 2017; Feb. 8, 2018; Jun. 8, 2018; Nov. 8, 2018
Any individual(s) with the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary to carry out the proposed research as the Program Director(s)/Principal Investigator(s) (PD(s)/PI(s)) is invited to work with his/her organization to develop an application for support. Individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups as well as individuals with disabilities are always encouraged to apply for NIH support.