This FOA encourages Research Project Grant (R01) applications from institutions and organizations proposing research aimed at characterizing animal stem cells and improving existing, and creating new, animal models for human disease conditions. The intent of this initiative is to facilitate the use of stem cell-based therapies for regenerative medicine. The initiative focuses on the following areas:
1) comparative analysis of animal and human stem cells to provide information for selection of the most predictive and informative model systems;
2) development of new technologies for stem cell characterization and transplantation; and
3) improvement of animal disease models for stem cell-based therapeutic applications.
• Pre-Application Submission Deadline: N/A
• Application Submission Deadline: 5:00 PM local time of applicant organization, Feb. 5, 2017; Jun. 5, 2017; Oct. 5, 2017; Feb. 5, 2018; Jun. 5, 2018; Oct. 5 2018; Feb. 5, 2019
Companion funding opportunities:
Any individual(s) with the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary to carry out the proposed research as the Program Director(s)/Principal Investigator(s) (PD(s)/PI(s)) is invited to work with his/her organization to develop an application for support. Individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups as well as individuals with disabilities are always encouraged to apply for NIH support.